Growing up my mom would go on a baking spree in December. The countertop would be covered with tins, and Tupperware filled with a bounty of holiday treats. I’m talking like two types of fudge (peanut butter was my favorite), those saltine cracker toffee cookies, puppy chow, spritz cookies and of course one of my favorites SNOWBALLS! I wish I could have had the chance to re create all of my favorites but when its just you and your fiancé at home, the sweets last a lot longer than a family of 5! I also thought this one would be easy to veganize, and it was!
These little babies are sooo simple to make and take no time at all. You can use walnuts or pecans inside (although I think pecans might be the traditional way to make them,) I used walnuts because my mom always used walnuts 🙂
I hope you love these as much as I do! Happy holidays!! Enjoy! xx
Vegan Snowballs (aka Danish Wedding Cookies)
- 1 C vegan butter softened
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 C AP or gluten free flour
- 1/2-3/4 C finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1½ C powdered sugar for rolling
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- cream together the butter and 1/2 C powdered sugar
- add in vanilla
- slowly add in the flour and mix in until dough forms.
- mix in walnuts
- scoop tablespoon size dough out and roll in hands to form a ball. Place on parchment lined baking sheet
- bake 14-16 mins, or until lightly browned on edges and bottom
- let cool for 10 mins then roll into powdered sugar. Let cool another 10 mins and roll a second time.
- Eat and enjoy!