PIE. I feel like it can be eaten anytime of the year, but during the cold winter months and especially around the holidays it just feels even more right to indulge in a warm slice of fresh baked pie.
For some reason though I’ve always loved taking a traditional pie recipe and making it into bars. Maybe it’s because I love a good crust and the crust to filling ratio is so much better in bars. You have crust on all four corners! The perfect slice! Bars are also easier to eat and seem less daunting to make. Like a pie is just so much work. And like I’ve said before I don’t own a rolling pin soooo, bars it is!
These pecan bars are vegan and gf and use coconut sugar and maple syrup. They are still gooey, carmely, and sweet like normal pecan bars but made with better ingredients! And in my opinion you can’t tell the difference.
The crust is buttery and the perfect balance of crispy shortbread and soft cookie. Even using gf flour which can sometimes be drier and make your recipes more crumbly than normal this flour from Trader Joe’s is the perfect replacement. And the filling is just so. damn. good. Which equals the most perfect gf and vegan pecan bars.
Serve with some vanilla ice cream if you’re feeling like truly indulging.
Let cool and ENJOY.
Vegan Pecan Pie Bars
- 9 x 13 Baking Dish
- Food Processor (optional)
- Pastry cutter (optional)
- 2 cups GF all purpose flour I like Trader Joe’s brand the best!
- ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tbsp cold butter I like earth balance best for this particular shortbread like crust
- ¾ cup organic coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp coconut cream NOT milk
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 3 cup roughly chopped raw pecans
- Preheat over to 350
- Mix dry crust ingredients together and add cold butter and cut into dough. If you don’t have a pastry cutter or a food processor you can use two forks and incorporate butter until crumbly and dough forms. Once dry mix is fully incorporated with butter and looks like dough add to a 9×13 pan and press into bottom.
- Bake for 15-20 mins until slightly brown in edges. Remove
- While crust is baking add all filling ingredients into saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Once crust is done pour filling mixture evenly onto crust and return to over for an additional 18 minutes.