So, I recently received a little tub of JOI . Hahah cute right? Well it is! JOI is this amazing company that makes nut milk bases! They have two options, either an almond base or a cashew base and each 150z container equals 7 quarts of milk!. So basically you scoop out 1-2 tablespoons, add water, blend and just like that you have fresh nut milk with no additives, nasty preservatives, guar gums (wtf are those anyway?) or sugar! They also created this brand to reduce packaging waste which recues their overall carbon footprint and their packaging is 100% recyclable. Do we need anymore reasons to love JOI?
Anyway, the point is I was feeling creative and was thinking of recipes I could make that required milk! I settled upon a loaf with a glaze. Next decision, what type of loaf? Well with spring being so close I went with one of my personal favorite combinations: lemon and blueberry. I took it up a notch by adding some lavender, major spring vibes.
This loaf was SO GOOD, like my god! If I’m being honest though, I was afraid at first because I had to keep her in the oven longer than I thought. I was certain she would be dry and over baked. BUT NO. PERFECT! Great crumb, subtle lavender flavor, just enough brightness from both lemon juice and zest, and then the glaze was just *chef’s kiss* delightful.
I used the JOI almond base in the batter and I made the milk a little thicker than normal for maximum creaminess. I definitely think this helped give the loaf a nice chewy crumb and kept it from drying out. It also just felt healthier knowing there was zero additives, preservatives etc. in the bread.
If you’re interested in trying out any of their products you can use my code: BRITTBIGGZ for 10% discount!
Lemon Blueberry Lavender Loaf
- 9" loaf pan
- 2 C AP flour
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 flax egg 1 TBS ground flax seed + 3 TBS water)
- 1 C
JOI non dairy milk
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 TBS lemon juice
- 2 TBS lemon zest
- 2 tsp dried cooking lavender
- 1 C blueberries
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1 TBS water
- 1 TBS lemon zest
- Preheat over 350°
- make the flax egg and let sit for 5 mins
- Add all dry ingredients for the bread and whisk together
- In separate bowl add in milk, oil, lemon juice and flax egg. Whisk to combine fully.
- Add wet to dry and mix until no bits of dry flour are present.
- add in lemon zest and lavender
- fold in blueberries
- grease 9" loaf pan and pour batter in
- Bake loaf for about 40-50 mins-remove and cover with tin foil to prevent top getting too brown. Bake another 15-12 (check with toothpick and make sure it comes out clean).
- whisk all ingredients together until smooth. Drizzle once loaf is completely cooled. Sprinkle some dried lavender on top for finishing touch!