I have been trying to come up with Vegan and Gluten free pancake recipe for some time now. I wanted a recipe that had wholesome ingredients, but still had a nice fluffy texture. I didn’t want to use a GF all purpose flour because it really doesn’t have much nutritional value. I knew that what gives normal pancakes that fluffy, airy texture was buttermilk. Luckily, there is a very simple way to make a vegan buttermilk! These pancakes came out perfect and I am so happy because I finally have my go to pancake recipe!!
I also added a delicious matcha syrup, some coconut shreds and vegan butter on top of these babies…they were SO GOOD.
These pancake have become a weekend staple for me now! They are clean, simple and have protein and fiber from rolled oats and coconut flour. All you have to do is add all the ingredients into a blender and blend for 30 seconds…I don’t know how much easier it could get.
Vegan and Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes with Matcha Syrup
- 1 C unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 C gluten free rolled oats
- 2 Tbs coconut flour
- 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 2 Tbs coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- coconut oil for cooking
- 2 Tbs Powdered sugar
- 1/2 Tbs cerimonial grade matcha
- 2 Tbs non dairy milk
- 1/2 Tbs water
- in a small bowl whisk together the milk and the apple cider vinegar and set aside for 5 mins to create the vegan buttermilk,
- in a blender add the vegan buttermilk and remaining ingredients and blend for 30 seconds. DO NOT over blend or the batter will become sticky and pancakes wont be fluffy.
- heat pan over medium heat and add a tablespoon of coconut oil
- ladle about 1/2 cup into the pan at a time
- cook on for about 2-3 minutes or until bubbles start to form
- flip and cook another 2 minutes
- Whisk Matcha and water together until well combined
- add in powdered sugar and whisk
- add in more mil if too thick, should be runny.