I know not everyone can agree with me here but I love salads. Like LOVE THEM. But I’m not talking like a basic iceberg and tomato garden salad, I mean BORING. I Love a salad with a bunch of different toppings added in that also add flavor and texture.
I love a good salad not just because they are a healthy meal choice I can feel good about gorging on but because they are so crisp and fresh. You can load so many different types of veggies into them and make so many different varieties.
You could have a sweeter salad with fruits, a savory salad with roasted veggies, a tangy crisp salad with raw veggies and a vinaigrette, I mean the possibilities are endless!!!
This salad in particular is one of my go-to, all time faves. It just tastes so damn good. You have nutrient dense, crisp kale, warm, sweet butternut squash and onions, some tofu for protein and it adds a dense chunky aspect to the salad like that of chicken. All tossed in this creamy, lemony garlicky Tahini dressing. Top it all off with some crunch from the sunflower seeds and little pop of sweet from the golden raisins. I mean it hits all things I look for in a salad. It’s filling from the kale and tofu, has healthy fats from the Tahini and satisfying from all the different roasted veggies and seeds mixed in.
Side note this salad is great to make in big batches because it’s just as delicious cold the next day and really doesn’t get soggy!
Roasted Butternut and Kale Salad
- 1 bunch curly or dinosaur kale.
- 2 C cubbed butternut squash
- 1/2 red onion cut into wedges
- 4 oz tofu cooked to your liking
- 1/4 c sunflower seeds
- 1/4 c golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cube squash and cut onion into wedges about 5 wedges for half of an onion. Place on lined baking sheet and drizzle with Avocado oil and sprinkle salt and pepper. Roast for about 20 mins until squash is soft and browned on the bottom and onion is almost translucent.
- While roasting massage kale with a tablespoon of oil. This helps soften the kale and makes eating it more enjoyable ( in my opinion )
- Next make my Lemony Garlicky Tahini dressing and pour over kale and toss. Add the warm veggies/tofu and mix . Top with sunflower seeds and golden raisins.
Lemony Garlicky Tahini Dressing
- 1/2 C Tahini
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- Juice and zest from 2 lemons
- 1/4 Water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients for the dressing in a food processor/nutri bullet or even a Ninja! I have the Ninja Chef and its amazing! It’s like my all in one staple piece of the kitchen equipment.
- Blend until all garlic is puréed. Add more water if needed, shouldn’t be too thin. Should be able to coat a spoon and stick.