That is the only word to describe these bars. They are very similar to “millionaire bars” but in my personal opinion, better. Layers of shortbread crust, chocolate, walnuts, coconut milk caramel, and some coconut flakes on top…how could you go wrong.
The coconut almond flour shortbread crust is the perfect base for the gooey coconut milk caramel and chocolate filling. These bars are super easy to make, the only thing that takes a little bit of patience and time is making the coconut milk caramel, but it is WORTH IT!
I used Enjoylife chocolate chunks, and they made the chocolate layer sooo thick, but I’m fine with that, in fact, I prefer it! Chips can of course be used but the chocolate layer will most likely be thinner. Either way, taste will not be lost!
With the holidays quickly approaching (WOW, summer is almost over) these bars absolutely need to be baked up and served! You could swap out walnuts for pecans, or make a spiced caramel, or even a pumpkin spice layer…. stay tuned 🙂
Coconut Milk Caramel Chocolate Shortbread Bars
- 1/2 C coconut flour
- 1/2 C almond flour
- 1/3 C coconut oil
- 3 Tbs maple syrup
Coconut Milk Caramel
- 1 can (13.5-ounces) full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 C coconut sugar
- 2 Tbs coconut butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 3/4 C chocolate chunks or chips
- 3/4 C chopped walnuts
- 1/2 C unsweetened coconut flakes or shreds
- Preheat oven to 350°
- combine all ingredients under "Shortbread crust" and mix until well combined and dough is formed. Line a 8X8 pan with parchment paper. Press dough evenly into pan.
- bake for 10 mins
- While the crust bakes heat a saucepan over medium low heat and add coconut milk and coconut sugar. Stir often until mixture begins to boil. Lower heat and simmer until the mixture is reduced by 1/3 (about 20-30 mins). Mixture should resemble condensed milk. Add in coconut butter, vanilla, and blend well. Remove from heat.
Layer and bake
- Sprinkle chocolate, walnuts and half the coconut evenly over the crust. Pour the slightly cooled caramel over entirely. Sprinkle remaining coconut on top. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until edges are slightly browned and bubbling.
- sprinkle salt on top and let cool completely before cutting and serving
- ENJOY xx
- P.s. these can be stored in air tight container at room temp for 4-5 days or in the fridge for about a week.