It’s still summertime! And to me that means blue skies, beach days, warm temperatures, meals al fresco, and the best farmers market produce. I’m talking juicy tomatoes, sweet stone fruits and crisp green veggies. My kind of heaven.
When it’s summer and I’m craving something sweet I typically don’t want a decadent chocolate dessert. To me that is something for winter when you want to bundle up and hibernate. During summer I’d rather indulge in a sweet, tangy fruit forward treat.
And to me that means something with BERRIES.
Ripe juicy berries are like the quintessential sign that it’s summer.
Walk through a farmers market and you’ll be hit with the sweet candy like aroma of freshly picked berries and stone fruits. Tables laden with quarts of plump blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and my personal fav raspberries. Mountains of juicy peaches, plums and nectarines all at the peak of ripeness. I mean just as is, they are desserts in and of themselves.
I really wanted to make something like a classic blueberry pie. But if I’m being real, pies intimidate me. They take time and precision. You gotta roll the dough, lay it out just right in the pie pan and then you have to make a beautiful lattice crust on top. I mean you can’t not make a classic pie without a gorgeous crust on top. And to be honest I don’t have the time for all that or the patience. Annnddd it also may have something to do with the fact that I don’t own a rolling pin or pie pan, but I digress.
So what’s the next best/easy warm fruit dessert? A crumble! I absolutely love fruit crumble desserts. They are tart and sweet from the berries yet buttery and flaky from the shortbread crust. So I combined the two and made a blueberry pie sort of crumble bar.
This dessert is IT. I’m telling ya.
And if you’re really feeling like going the extra mile and putting yourself in the most glorious of food comas add a scoop of vanilla non dairy ice cream on top ( I just tried Oatly’s new vanilla ice cream and WOW) *Italian kiss, I’ve died and gone to summer dessert heaven.
- 2 C GF all purpose flour I used bob’s red mill
- 1 C cane sugar I did half white sugar half coconut sugar
- 1 C earth balance butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 C Walnuts optional
- 1 1/4 C blueberries or berries of choicraspberries would be delicious
- 2 TBS agave or maple syrup
- 1 TBS Xanthan Gum or Cornstarch
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine sugar, butter, vanilla until creamed together
- Add in flour and salt and combine until crumbly
- Set aside about 1/3 for topping
- Continue to mix until dough has formed
- Press into parchment lined 8X8 pan
- Puncture dough with fork aka Dock
- Bake for 10-12 mins
- While baking make filling
- On medium heat add all filling ingredients and mix and continue to smoosh berries until most are broken down
- Simmer for 3-5 mins then set aside and cool
- Take remaining crumbly dough and add in chopped walnuts or pecans if desired
- Pour filling onto cooled dough then drop the topping evenly as possible on top. Sprinkle with a pinch more coconut sugar and bake for another 20 mins or until golden brown.
- Cool. Cut. EAT.